Friday, September 11, 2009

I <3 NYC.

Some of you are probably surprised by the title of this post...
The surprise you have is probably due to the fact that generally, love is not the sentiment most prominent in my vocabulary when refering to how I feel about NYC. Its not that I hate NYC, its just that most likely if given several options of places to live, NYC would probably not be my choice. However, today I do feel love for NYC.

Being in this city on September 11 brings out emotions for those that were here on that dreadful day. It stirs my heart to think of what even the average New Yorker went through that day... not to mention those that had a family member or friend that was killed in the tragedy. I cannot imagine being here on that day and I am thankful that I was not. I was reminded today of the magnitude of how many lives were taken by the selfish terrorists. I had the TV on the channel that was televising the Memorial Service.... I'm not exactly sure how long it took, but I do know that the reading of the names of the victims lasted several hours, Jonah had a nap in the middle of it, and when he woke up, they were still reading names.

Its hard to understand why such a tragedy happens. I don't think I will ever understand why things like that happen or even why a single murder happens. What a tragedy like this does help me understand is that all people need God's love. I desire to be an instrument of God's love and for that reason, I <3 NYC.

1 comment:

  1. what a terrible day it was! i was just saying to my dad that as time goes on it fades a little, but when you think about it you realize again what a terrible terrible tragedy it was. kevin's sister lived in nyc when it happened. we visited the site a few years ago and i was so moved. you can hardly get your mind around the magnitude of it all.


    on an entirely different note, how cute is jonah? so cute:)

    maria (signed in on kevin's account)

    ReplyDelete