Sunday, May 3, 2009

Our Sunday

We had to wake up a little earlier than usual to be at The Gallery Church to help with the set up. We do this once every other month or so with our small group. Mark, Jonah and I usually walk to church, which is about a 35 minute walk, but today it was raining. I was kind of glad that it was raining because that meant we would get to take a cab to church rather than walk, which ultimately meant a little more sleep. : ) Instead of it taking 35 minutes to walk to church, it took us about 10 minutes to 'cab it' to church. We ate lunch at a BBQ place close to our church in hopes that by the time we ate lunch and fed Jonah a bottle, it would stop raining and we would be able to walk home. Unfortunately, it was still raining and we had to 'cab it' home as well. When the weather is nice, we really enjoy our walk to and from church. We walk through Central Park, so its quite a pleasant walk in the morning hours.

Most of our afternoon was spent indoors, which can make one feel claustrophobic in our apartment (probably true in most NYC apartments). Our afternoon also involved Mark making a trip to several different drug stores to buy Hydrogen Peroxide.........
As many of you know we took a two week trip about a month and a half ago. While we were gone, our lovely and charming cat, Sushi, decided to use our rug as her liter box. I guess she was showing us how happy she was with us that we left her here by herself for two weeks. (Yes, we did have someone checking in on her, providing food, etc.). Anyways, the misuse of our rug left quite the unpleasant odor in our small apartment. I had already scrubbed the rug with several different carpet cleaners about 4 different times, (so I think the rug was adequately clean, but the odor remained). Today Mark decided we would give it one last ditch effort to see if he could get the stench to be completely gone... if not, the rug has to go! So Mark 'googled' to find out how to get rid of pet 'odor' out of the rug and found a formula of hydrogen peroxide + baking soda + dish soap. He had to go out and buy several bottles of hydrogen peroxide in order to have enough to make the mixture. When he came home, he announced that he believed he had bought all of the hydrogen peroxide in NYC. : ) So, Mark went to scrubbing. He is quite a goal oriented individual, so he worked diligently at this task until he was finished! So far, it seems that the odor is gone. We will have to see if this remains true over the next day or two, if not, unfortunately, we will be putting the rug on the curb. I certainly hope not since we just bought the rug since moving in this apartment.

After the rug scrubbing, we decided that the rain had let up enough for us to go on a walk. We put Jonah in his stroller with the rain cover in place and headed out. (Jonah has a clear, plastic cover that goes over his entire stroller that keeps him nice and warm and dry! We walked for about an hour. It felt so good to get out despite the not so great weather. We ended up coming home with a Crumbs cupcake. Delicious. So far, these cupcakes are the best I've had in NYC.... or anywhere for that matter.

This is how we ended our day....... hope you enjoy it even half as much as we did.


  1. He is so cute!! I like the sound of the Sunday walks thru Central Park. We live close to Grant Park, which is the big park in downtown Chicago. We walk thru it on weekends, weather permitting.

    I can't wait to see you all at ISC!!! Only a little over 8 weeks to go :)

  2. This is so precious! I miss you guys!